LOCAL IMPACT – BLACKHAWK OPPORTUNITIES
Some great opportunities to serve the community outside the walls of the building are located right here at Blackhawk. There are many simple ways to impact others. Click on one of the links at the right for more information about any of these opportunities.
Mother and Child Resource Ministry collects gently-used baby items for families in our community. The ministry receives referrals from a variety of agencies around Dane county and receives calls from mothers who have a baby on the way and are not prepared. Volunteers deliver boxes of newborn clothes and blankets to hospitals or homes as requested. For information or to volunteer with Mother and Child Resource Ministry, contact Kelsey Moss.
Items collected include:
- Baby clothes (newborn-12 months)
- Bibs, blankets, bottles, diapers, diaper bags
- Newborn books and toys
- Strollers, pack and plays, bassinets
- Maternity clothing
- Children’s clothing (size 2T-4T, in season only)
Please leave gently used or new donations in the Mother and Child donation bin on the lower level of the Brader Way building. Call 608.828.4232 with questions or for more information on Mother and Child.
Please note: Mother and Child does not accept any car seats.
The Donation Station ministry provides much-needed food, clothing and personal care items to people in Madison. Bins for donations are located on the lower level (across from the main office) and are open for drop-offs all year. Donations are taken to various agencies. Anyone wishing to volunteer to help with this ministry should contact Lucy Gammeter.
Items collected at the Donation Station include:
- Non-perishable food items (no glass)
- Adult and youth clothing and shoes (in season only)
Please note: Donation Station does not collect any housewares.
The Blackhawk Church Food Pantry Garden is a great serving opportunity for people of all ages. Over 48,000 lbs of food was produced in 2013 for local food pantries. Come out and help us grow and harvest even more this year!
In addition to the many garden volunteers who plant, weed and harvest with us, we have other volunteer needs:
- sending team emails, keeping records, helping schedule team meetings
- welcome garden newcomers, gather contact information, be a friendly face!
- lead a volunteer group to plant, weed and harvest under the instruction of a farmer
No experience is necessary for any of these volunteer roles.
For more information, contact the Food Pantry Garden volunteer coordinator.
Every day, patients across the country rely on blood and platelets donated through the American Red Cross. The mission of the Blood Drive ministry at Blackhawk is to serve our community by encouraging individual attendees to regularly provide the gift of life through donations of whole blood and blood components. Our participation in donating blood can help others fight disease and offer them a chance to live.
Blood Drives are held about four times a year at Blackhawk. If you are at least 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds you may be eligible to give blood. Read more about eligibility requirements (including travel outside the U.S.) here.
Benefits of donating:
- It feels great to donate!
- You get free juice and delicious treats
- It’s something you can spare – most people have blood to spare… yet, there is still not enough to go around
- You will help ensure blood is on the shelf when needed – most people don’t think they’ll ever need blood, but many do
- You will be someone’s hero – in fact, you could help save more than one life with just one donation